Search This Blog

Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Memorable Christmas Presents

A couple of days ago, my sweet friend Relyn started blogging some of her Christmas memories.  Her blog, Come Sit By My Fire, is so inspiring to me in so many ways!  I loved her story about the Junior Mint Christmas, and it inspired me to write about one Christmas gift my dad gave my mom that really sticks out in my mind.  Where her story is very sweet, mine is sweet, but funny. 

Mom had asked for a turntable for Christmas.  She loved those wooden lazy suzan turntables that people put in the middle of their kitchen table with the salt, pepper, and napkins on them...  Dad was an amazing carpenter, so she figured it would be a piece of cake for him to make one.  About a week before Christmas this ENORMOUS package appeared beside the tree.  It would never fit under the tree, I remember thinking it was about half the size of our tree. It was the biggest Christmas present I had ever seen.  Mom asked who it was for, and Dad said "It's yours."   She was so confused... all she had asked for was a turntable for the kitchen table.  She could not imagine what he had bought her.  It was really heavy, so we knew he had not done the "wrap a box inside a box inside a box" trick.  When Christmas morning finally came around I remember wanting to know what mom's present was as much as my own.   When she finally started opening it, she was shocked.   It was a giant entertainment center - two tape decks, a 6-disc CD changer (CD's were new at the time), and record player... the whole enchilada!   Mom was certainly surprised, and I think it showed, because dad finally asked "Isn't that what you wanted?  They don't sell record players by themselves anymore." 
Apparently the word "TURNTABLE" has a different definition to a man than it does a woman....

Just as a side note, mom never got a lazy susan, and she still has the record player.  :)

4 comments:

Jeffrey said...

That is HILARIOUS!! I LOVE that story. Maybe after reading your post, your Dad will make that lazy susan for you Mom in time for next year.

Jeffrey said...

Oh, crud! That last comment was actually from me. I am on Jeffrey's laptop since my computer bit the dust this morning. I forgot to log in. OH well. ~ Relyn

Unknown said...

Too funny, Relyn! I have done the same thing to my hubby, though. :)

Anonymous said...

I am about splittin' a gut at this story...